Monday 21 January 2008

Stream 6 - Flash! Da. Dance.

Did you hear that da wow da ha ha I wonder how many people were reading the waste land in the rain when THAT happened good lord yeah I remember I was going to write a poem about the god in lightning yeah think about that god is lightning I said to almost a year ago wow joe look at that we were so wasted out in my garden with the rain all around and columns of electric light and power were bursting and blasting all around and I thought yeah I though that’s the closest you’re ever going to get to god yeah wow what would I give to be struck by lightning oh the life you would careen through in that second of absolute perfect destruction, wow da hah, yeah well it’s just electricity, but the rain is the rain is the rain is so fantastically wet. But really yeah, rain is all swelling and swishing about I love the way it falls, it’s not just here it has to come all the way down down down from breaking skies and thunder and swirl through the air oh my what a sound again da blasting and blitzing the atoms of the air yeah the atoms fused in that smashing moment of powerful meaning that’s what I like to think, but I suppose it’s just a diffusion of positive to negative energy, levelling the contours of the world, though it may make my metaphysic spirit leap
___

I forget, my grandmother died peacefully this morning I am sad for my father he is the last now, but then comes the rain and the thunder and the speaking skies you might think them twins these events mocking one another in a strange slow dance, moving thighs and I was reading all the time about George Eliot who I know now is a woman and all the wonderful thoughts and hopes she had and that heart and her ‘unusually strong sympathetic imaginative appeal’ or something and yeah that is all you need, so I’ll appeal sympathetically in my imagination to the ghost of my grandmother peggy yes I can conjure her up even in appeal like an invocation asking the atoms of the world if they might fuse just for me, yes there you go - dance dance together all it takes to make a meaning in the world is to set the atoms and the stones and pebbles and beaches and stars and hearts heads and feet dancing in an accord and moving around the same point if only for a moment then you have meaning so I’ll see the world for a second dancing to the tune of a peaceful death, yes that will do that will do - it is sad though I hope my father can find comfort undeceived, it is so hard these days, and we are so truthful and candid white, we get by
___

And still it rains

1 comment:

Maria Paz said...

"my first instinct as the thunder shook was to tell him, to reach funny little hands out touch his eyes and say do you hear it as well, is the rain coming through your window? i did not close it. just as the aegean is the atlantic the ocean is sophocles’ and arnolds’ and mine too the rain is his " funny is what we say when we're afraid of being serious